Saturday Night Fever

It's Saturday night. 8:10 pm, Eastern Time. What does this mean for you? Probably a time marker in the middle of a hip and happening night out. What does this mean for me? Um, I think my room is starting to smell like that of a rotting young mind in it's prime.

I'm sick.
I've got Saturday Night Fever.

No, I'm not a Scientologist. (shameless John Travolta plug)

Really, I know I should be praying, writing a song, being creative, using this void in my day to further God's kingdom or pioneer a noble search for the cure of some epidemic disease, but I don't.
Why do you think we do that?
Why do you think we allow the pseudo-tragedy of boredom to handicap our lives as if it really has no cure? We're not dealing with Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma here, people. To put it simply, we're dealing with an absence of the things that we usually do with our time. The equation goes like this: time - stuff = boredom. And if we follow through with the equation and stuff is subtracted from time then what we're left with is more open time. Where in history did we go wrong to think that free time is a bad thing? It's all about perspective. Free time from a job or another arduous task of life is great, we all love that kind of free time. Free time spent in your house, alone, away from friends or the civilized world due to a lack of transportation, money, or invitation...now that is what we hate.

My point to all of this is that our perspective dictates our definition of free time into either boredom or opportunity.

This blog is a self-actualization for me I suppose. This term was brought to prominence in Abraham Maslow's "hierarchy of needs" theory, as the final level of psychological development that can be achieved when all basic and meta needs are fulfilled and the ‘actualization’ of the full personal potential takes place. Huh?

"By Job I think he's got it!" Oh, okay.

Closing truth: We need to see opportunity where our Creator leaves it. Imagine a world where every waking moment was spent being productive? It's a daunting task. Henry Varley, a British revivalist, said this, "The world has yet to see what God can do with a man fully consecrated to him. By God’s help, I aim to be that man.”

Boredom is the enemy's idea. Opportunity is God's. Your perspective could be the elusive cure to Saturday Night Fever. Choose wisely.

0 comments: