Viva la Musica.

God is so brilliant. I'll explain why...

Because He created music - arguably, the single most effective, passionate, emotion-evoking, communicative, spiritually-charged avenue for expression in my life, and in billions of others.

I'll tell you an embarrassing, yet true story that only my closest friends know of. Basically when I was about 4 years old I was a very loud, mischievous little Cuban boy. I am still at least 1 of those 3 things. I lived in New Jersey at the time and from as early as I can remember, I was in love with "la musica" as my Grandma called it. So one day while my entire family and I were sitting in church waiting for the offertory song to be sung, my impatient little 4 year old mind picked up on the fact that the sound guy was having trouble with the track. The poor lady singing was just standing there awkwardly waiting for her cue. So I thought something should be said. Within seconds, I stood to my feet on top of the pew (which probably actually elevated me to the height of very short man), turned to the sound man and I yelled in my native tongue..."Donde esta la musica!?" Where's the music, I said. My mom was absolutely horrified being that this was a predominantly spanish-speaking congregation. But I needed that music.

Yeah - I got spanked.

I say all this because I am sitting here in my loft, listening to the likes of Phil Wickham, Hillsong, Desperation Band, Matt Papa, and the list goes on. And I am nearly in tears by the spirit that these words and melodies carry. It's as if music serves as the singing telegram directly sent from the original artist - God himself.

Yesterday, in our 3rd service as a church (The Connection Point), I was leading the people in a song called "God of This City" which is dear to my heart. There was a moment in the middle of that song where it just hit me - this music is so powerful. Not because it was my voice singing it or any our musicians playing it, but because God created it. God orchestrated that moment before I ever was. That chorus has so much weight - "Greater things are still to be in this city." And I just think, "God, you aren't even done here. This isn't the best we'll get. There are more moments like this. Greater moments than this." And that thought alone stirs my heart to continue singing, creating, playing, writing, even humming and air-strumming.

0 comments: