He Said Dare Me

In Malachi 3:8-12 it reads as such,

8 "Will a man rob God? Yet you rob me. "But you ask, 'How do we rob you?' "In tithes and offerings. 9 You are under a curse—the whole nation of you—because you are robbing me. 10 Bring the whole tithe (10%) into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, (He basically just said, "Dare me!") "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it. 11 I will prevent pests from devouring your crops, and the vines in your fields will not cast their fruit," says the LORD Almighty. 12 "Then all the nations will call you blessed, for yours will be a delightful land," says the LORD Almighty." (NIV)

Times are tough.

And that's the understatement of this era, I know.

But that doesn't compromise the potency or even the truth of God's promise.

Put away your jaded thinking toward the following cliche for a minute and affirm the fact that everything you have is a gift from God. So isn't it only fair to give back?

It sounds like a great deal to me: God gives 100% and I give 10%.

Consider it paying it forward; giving out of your blessing. We'd be lying dramatically if any of us could deny the blessings we reap every day.

Breathing? Yeah, me too, we're blessed.

I'm certainly not telling anyone what to do. But I am telling everyone what I'm going to do.

2 comments:

March 31, 2009 at 10:09 PM Anonymous said...

Interesting... I'd encourage you to look at the old and new covenant, That of the Jews and that of the New Testiment church... I think they reveal rich truths. The tithe under the law was played out very differently, for example, the tithe was apart of a feast, and the tithe (as grain) could be traded for money while on route to bring it to the synagogues to pay for the journey and lodging if it was too far away. Also there was a seperate portion of the tithe that was not given but rather reserved for the local community (read Deuteronomy 14:22-29). In relations to Pauls words in Galations 3:10-13
" For all who rely on works of the law are under a curse; for it is written, "Cursed be every one who does not abide by all things written in the book of the law, and do them." 11 Now it is evident that no man is justified before God by the law; for "He who through faith is righteous shall live"; 12 but the law does not rest on faith, for "He who does them shall live by them." 13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us--for it is written, "Cursed be every one who hangs on a tree."
To take on the readings of the exact 10th as presented under the mosaic law can be difficult as "the example" of the tithe. Paul urges us away from the rigidity of the mosaic law because to take on the whole law is to take on a curse which Christ has freed us from. This is not to say however that the principle of God blessing the giver is not true but rather directs one to ask what does "tithing" look like today. I believe new testiment giving is much more extreme than old testiment, nothing we have is our own. We are to treat everything as Christs, as that which God has intrusted us with. Look at in Acts for example: 2:44-45 "And all those who had believed were together, and had all things in common; and they began selling their property and possessions, and were sharing them with all, as anyone might have need."

Anyways, just some things to consider. Like I said I do believe the lord blesses those who give that which God has intrusted you with,however, in reading the 10% tithe one needs to be mindfull of the scriptures as a whole and their implications.

March 31, 2009 at 11:26 PM Gabe Lopez said...

I appreciate the dialogue. I think the bottom line for me comes down to the "first fruits."

I believe God gave us the precedent and example of 10% for a reason. Do I believe that we are to rigidly cut a check every payday of strictly 10% even if we feel led to give more? Of course not.

Do I believe that God is behind all the prosperity gospel messages that promise health and wealth if we give? Nope.

It's not a reward system. It's a loving act of worship; a demonstration of gratitude.

Tithing is big word with many connotations and interpretations that spans even beyond monetary giving. So if that's your case as well, great. We're on the same page.

I was simply restating a powerful truth and promise that God has in other words said, "Go ahead, try me, watch what I can do for you and through you when you give."

Giving God my first fruits whether its my money or my time and commitment is always in my best interest and is never about rigid law and always about the journey of my heart.