Toward The Goal

Tonight I experienced God in an intimate way.

I decided to go running for honestly the first time in years - literally. I have never been a fan of running. I've always complained that as a skinny kid it just makes me more skinny.

But tonight was different.

The air was frigid and my joints weren't nearly prepared for such a traverse. Nonetheless, I took off in the direction that seemed most well-lit and tried to focus my breathing.

As I continued to push my body to its limit something in my mind shifted. It was as if these dormant goals and dreams in my life began to materialize before me. I blame it on the adrenaline. I picked up my pace.

I wasn't just running anymore. I was chasing.

I pictured Jesus on the horizon. With no particular route in mind, I just couldn't bring myself to look behind me. Cheesy-ness accepted, I'm telling you I ran like my life depended on it. I began to pray out loud. I began to verbally revisit promises that only God and I had made with one another.

Pain and fatigue were blurred at this point; stopping wouldn't have even helped.

As I neared my house I was reminded of the scripture Philippians 3:13. It reads, "...Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal..."

What an amazing declaration.

Almost 5 accidental miles later I learned first hand the joy of this perseverance. If it means that I'm the crazy guy yelling at the air while cars whiz by, I'll never give up. I'll never quit on this. I will press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

Amen.

0 comments: